AMP College PPD

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Job goal

3 years ago I got made redundant from a job as project manager looking after the new customer processes for a scheme called staywarm, now owned by Powergen. I decided to move into IT, as I was always a computer geek, and knew I would enjoy the role. I planned these 5 steps

  • Obtain training through Goverment retraining scheme (available to all people made redundant), I chose MCSE
  • Pass the course, which I did 60% before redundancy
  • Search for openings into IT through friends, I spoke to my best mate working at Fujitsu, who got me a job interview as soon as I passed my first MCP
  • Learn the job and gain real life experience, It took 5 months to get promoted to 2nd line :)
  • Gain as much broad based experience as possible to enable choosing a specialism

Currently, I'm still working on the 5th step, even after moving to another company into a 3rd line role. At this moment in time, I'm working on server support, desktop support and PC architecture, so I've no long term goals, I'm soaking in the experience. I'm wary of choosing a specialism, as the most fun roles are varied.


Role Model

I really don't have a single person who I'd like to emulate, as I fortunate to work in a brilliant team. There's a few people who I'd like to be like, for different reasons

Roelie Van Huyssten - For being a PC natural, who never gets a foot wrong on any IT matter, whether server or desktop, with the nicest personality ever, truthfully critical when it needs. He's just moved back to South Africa, and I'm picking up some of his work. If I'm half as successful and respected as him, I'll be happy.

Nick Cockayne - My Senior boss, who will still fix a PC if needed, come up with the most pragmatic solutions to problems, and can keep work at work when out round town (I won't go into it)

1 Comments:

Blogger Kerry said...

You have an absolutely definite sense of the importance of a structured approach to improving your career prospects - it's a hard lesson to learn through redundancy but you've certainly moved forward from this. Your management of this course is testament to your commitment to move forward and achieve more.

The comment on my blog said ...The job goal information is very thorough and you seem to have a definite sense of where you want to be and how you're going to get there.

Role models can be difficult but it's still useful to identify the traits in others that you admire. It's even more use to get others to comment on your positive characteristics.

Thanks
Kerry

Nov 28, 2006, 2:08:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home