Reflective Round 3 - A Load of Tosh
Bleh, getting up at 6 for a train to london at 7, my body and brain just ain't used to it.
Good day, we got to see the models of laptop Toshiba are producing over the next 6 months, and even got to see their next one, due out in March. Can't give too much away, but it looks like a bad iMac copy, with Tablet functionality. Far too cute for business, and the mention of Tablet sent shivers down the management types' collective spine (I think it's the way forward, but there's a stigma, I need to do some coercion on that one). It's the direct(ish) replacement for their lightweight model, at 150% heavier and thicker... we're not happy, at all. Not much we can do tho, thats the lightest model and we've got to like it or lump it, I sounded out about changing suppliers and was told it's very doubtful. I'll be getting some demo copies to play with marchish time, so I'll need to do some work then, but we've got some hp desktops to sort, and a 64bit demo to do first.
College. Been struggling getting CCNA semester 2 started, mostly because I'm far enough ahead not to worry too much (my innate time management comes in very useful), partly because there's lots of work on at the moment, such as moving office in 2 weeks, for which I'll be working the next 2 weekends with some prep work inbetween, plus rolling out WSUS to our side company, plus doing some office 2003 config rollouts, plus some other scripting jobs, plus the usual ramp up of calls pre xmas (before ppl go on hols or spend the silly season blind drunk), plus the demo of the HP deshtops, plus spending the silly season blind drunk. But CCNA 2 is also quite hard to get into, as I've sod all prior knowledge, and it bears no relation to my current job. CCNA 1 was like the background to general internet and computer networking, something we all work on every day, so it's all relevant, and you see how it fits together transparently. CCNA 2, we're getting 1 step further away from the desktop, into site links and traffic flow management. This is stuff our company pays another company to do, so I've no chance of hands on work practice. Looks Like I'll be hanging on to Dom's every last word in the lessons, I'll really need the lessons on this one.
So CCNA isn't based on what I do at work, I came to learn new things, not brush up on what I already know. I chose a degree for personal reasons, and was very pleased that I'll get professional qualifications out of this course as well (didn't know before I joined, I think that side should be publicised more). I know that there's a good 5-6 modules later that I know already and will breeze through, but I prefer this challenge. I'd really like to know what the top up degree from foundation will be like, I'm expecting something totally different, more academic

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home